Translate this Blog!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Very Cute Friends at School

I noticed that I spend a lot of time in the school library. Even though there are loud school children in there from time to time, there is just a simple piece of mind and peace when I can read a small Russian picture book or textbook from the library--"biblioteka" (similar word in Spanish apparently). The exchange students shared a good chocolate Alphen Gold snack there once with the librarian and a few "wkolniki" (elementary school children).

School has been pasting by more quickly now that we have more variety with our schedule. Also, we have also been to the computer labs a few times, but honestly, I do not do much in there besides try to listen to the Digital Information class, because I feel more comfortable using the Internet at home and my own laptop. It seems like a fun class. They were designing a Russian "Diplom" (Certificate) on Microsoft Word the other day, and I helped my sister figure out how to rotate the page into landscape.

In additional to AFS specific language instruction, we also sit with the 2nd graders to learn Russian handwriting. I am a bit anxious to start learning grammar and skip handwriting, but socially, it is fascinating to see the little children. They are very nice and well-behaved students. They take their class very seriously, raise their hand straightly and stand up to respond to questions. I love seeing their excited faces when they are called upon during class. During breaks between classes, they love to run about the second floor like little balls of energy.

I have made some nice friends with the second graders. I love them! They speak to me in Russian, because they have not learned much English, and I like speaking with them. They ask about America, my opinions on Cheboksary and the cutest things about speaking English. I am so happy that they talk to me, and are understanding/patient with my Russian. When we pass each other in the corridors, the little second graders wave hello. And today, on my way out of school, one of them hugged me! They are so friendly! I feel like I would learn more in a higher grade level of Russian language, but will the students be as nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment