Translate this Blog!

Monday, December 5, 2011

Desiring Freedom and Better Weather


I noticed that the blogs from past exchange students tend to die out around this season. I don't know the exact reason, but it might be the critical milestone where emotions heighten. I am not as homesick as I imagined I would be. Yes, I miss my friends, family and the good weather in California, but I feel rather confident I'll find them again when I return from Russia. However, what I crave most now is independence....freedom. There's no point of staying out late during Russian Winters, because the streets become so cold and dark quiet early, but I miss having the good company of friends like the past. I miss the traditional hang-outs in a friend's warm home, where we all cook and bond over silly movies and fun conversations. I've grown to really appreciate the friends here, and of course the life-long friends at home (those outside of America too), but of course, nothing is the same. I would be lying to say that all is going well right now, but overall, it is pretty good. I'm doing well in classes. I'm memorizing a few lines, because I'll play a brave rabbit with the little grade school children later this week.

Not long ago, I celebrated Thanksgiving with real American mashed potatoes—in all its butter-laden pleasure, texture and goodness. It was not the typical “kartofel pure” that they serve in the cafeteria. Then I'm also happy that I got to celebrate my friend's birthday here with the other students; so the festivities are here. I don't know what will happen around Christmas, but our Italian friend here has a birthday too! I hope it will turn out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment